Re: [Evolution] M$ Outlook => Evolution migration

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 19:01 +0200, Sales Dept. Toltech Solutions wrote:
Dear List,

Toltech is a Linux software integrator for the SME market.
In this respect we are migrating M$ users from outlook to evolution.
Upon training our users we noticed complaints about lack of certain
composer features compared to MS Outlook, users in here use MS Word as
there email composer.

These are for example, autotext, advanced dictionaries, fonts, personal
preferences, etc, for outlook/word

Currently we evaluate OpenOffice as the closest replacement to MS Word
Now we wish to hear your opinion to have OpenOffice as a plugin for
Evolution, as a composer.

Basically we feel we should combine the best opensource software to
obtain the best usable result in order to compete/replace current
proprietary software.

Kindly inform us your ideas etc.

Linux/OOo/Evo is not a drop-in 1-1 exact feature replacement for
Win/Word/Outlook.  Nor would I want it to be.  Otherwise, The
Linux Desktop would be just as insecure as Windows.

The thing is that email isn't supposed to be about "documents",
but about words.

Regarding advanced dictionaries, Evo uses gnome-spell, which on
Debian, at least, uses aspell and dictionaries-common.  There's a
way to create new dictionaries, but that's a separate activity.

What do you mean by "personal preferences, etc, for outlook/word"?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

All of the "reporting" about Laci Peterson & Michael Jackson
reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry": "Can we do the
operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the
newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need
dirty laundry."