Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0.3

Strange this hasn't been answered yet...

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:25 -0700, Jason Hayes wrote:
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 20:22 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:

The Evolution Team brashly announces the release of Evolution 2.0.3.
Download the following:

On that note, is there a FAQ kicking around that gives clear
instructions on how to make sure you are installing this update
properly?

No, and there is no need for an FAQ.

This release announcement is about availability of new official tarballs
only. If you want to get down to building from source, you either need
way more than an FAQ or nothing beside this announcement -- depending on
your experience with building Evo from source. ;-)

While I understand the installation process, I have been stopped more
than once by not having all the dependencies met. Since this machine is
a primary work horse, I am having issues with the memory leaks in the
2.0.0 version that came with Mdk 10.1, but cannot afford to get stalled
half way through the upgrade process and lose my e-mail.

What do you mean exactly?

Do you really want to build from source? Then you should be building
against a separate $prefix anyway.

When installing by RPM, you first need those RPMs, which will be most
likely provided by your distro vendor. Mandrake offers updated Evolution
packages (for Mandrake Linux 10.1) since about 2 days after the release
announcement of Evolution 2.0.3.

So just update your urpmi 'main' sources [1] and update your machine --
either graphically with 'MandrakeUpdate' or using the command line tool
'urpmi.update'. Both will resolve any dependencies for you.

Even if you are grabbing those packages manually and use the general but
way less convenient 'rpm -U', no package will be updated if any
dependencies are not met.

In no case will your emails be "lost", cause updating from 2.0.0 to
2.0.3 does not involve data migration, AFAIK. If you are concerned about
data loss, you do have a backup handy anyways when upgrading, right? :)

Hope, that answers your questions...

...guenther

[1] Mandrake spoiler

    Convenient web-based tool to setup 'urpmi' sources:
      http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    Learn about the power of 'urpmi':
      http://urpmi.org/