[Evolution] Additional Info: Kernel 2.6 Related; was ---> Syncing Evolution

Some more observations for those still struggling to sync their Pam
devices using Gnome-Pilot and Evolution 2.0.x.

Going back to my previous posts:

1) A conditional script is not necessary for loading gpilotd in
Autostart directory. Apparently, the daemon checks to see if it's
already in memory and won't load twice. However...if you have saved a
previous X session with your DE of choice, and gpilotd was already
running, you can end up with two instances by using this non-conditional
startup script in Autostart. I couldn't get conditional statements to
give me accurate true/false results. Someone will better scripting
skills may fair better. :0)

2) Gnome 2.8 (I believe that is what comes standard with FC3) has a
panel applet that loads gpilotd and gpilotd-control-applet into memory
as soon as you add the applets icon to your Gnome panel. I still had to
click on the applet's icon and bring up the control-applet dialog box
before I could sync the very first time after boot-up. Thereafter, you
can sync just by using your cradle or device. I suspect this is because
the control-applet was loaded into memory with the daemon. With the
daemon alone, all one has to do is press the cradle's hotsync button.

With some commenting on how my setup could be a fluke or influenced by
something unknown to me, I decided to see if I had any services running
(or not running) that affected things. By doing so, I was able to create
an environment where my settings would *not* work. Just run 'netplugd'.
Bingo! No more syncing, and no more use of my USB printer!

This really messed up my USB system. Nothing I could do would re-
establish the printer connection or allow the Visor to sync. From what I
can gather, it removed the two device nodes under /proc/bus/usb/001
("002" and 003") and replaced them with "005" and 006". They didn't
work, but they were active as I couldn't remove them with the system up
and running.

Steps taken for recovery of old settings:

1) Shutdown
2) Disconnect USB hub from the back of the laptop
3) Boot-up without the hub and its devices (printer and cradle)
4) Allow kudzu to remove the Epson printer configuration. This cleaned
out the printer rules made during installation in 50-udev.rules, and
removed the non-working numerical node references placed
in /proc/bus/usb/001
5) Shutdown again
6) Boot-up again
7) Test Visor sync - OK
8) Test printer - OK

If anyone is running this service under 2.6 and can't sync, this may be
the cause.

I realize that I could have restarted udev and services instead of
rebooting, but I wanted to be totally clear that I got everything out of
memory that was not needed. Udev and kernel-2.6 are new to me, so I
thought this is the more complete method with the least amount of
possible mistakes on my part. Other more versed mad easily see where I
could have avoided a reboot.

Here are the services I am running under FC3/SELinux on a Dell Inspiron
4000 laptop:

acpid
anacron
apmd
atd
autofs
cpuspeed
crond
cups
cups-config-daemon
firestarter
gpm
kudzu
lisa
lm_sensors
messagebus
netfs
network
nfslock
pcmcia
syslog
xfs
xinetd

Pretty simple set of services for a laptop.

Hope this helps someone. I'm back to syncing and printing, again. :0)

Paul