Re: [Evolution] evo 2

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 13:34 -0500, David Moreno Garza wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 14:18 -0500, Eric Lambart wrote:
Don't knock it 'til you try it.  If you still prefer the "old"
Evolution, you can always fork the codebase and start your own project.

Well, I agree with Jack's opinion, lots of users are afraid of new
GUI's, probably it would be nice to skin Evolution to allow an old style
theme, or so.

The new design is not a "theme", it involves some fundamental UI
changes, and I'm sure it will continue to change as time goes on.  Some
people will like it, some won't.  You *can* however "theme" Evolution,
along with the rest of your Gnome desktop (or by itself I suppose, if
you don't use other Gnome apps).

And a reply of 'fork the project' of an opinion seems too rude for a
user saying what s/he thinks, said by a hacker playing being adult.

I'm sorry you feel that way, David.  I've actually been "playing adult"
for many years now, although I have played hacker for even longer.  I
actually think the original message was rather rude, offering little
except non-constructive, uninformed criticism.  I'll admit I've written
similar sorts of posts myself in the past, but I also realize that they
were very rude, and try my best now to think before I type.

Anyway, my suggestion about a fork was not a joke; it is a very real
alternative.  You don't like the way a GPL product is going, either try
to *constructively* participate in its design (before final decisions
are made), or help yourself to a copy of the code the way it was when
you still liked it, and go from there.  Open source software is all
about freedom of choice, although when it involves cooperation and
collaboration is when it really shines.

Eric