Från: evolution-admin lists ximian com genom Patrick O'Callaghan
Skickat: ti 2004-09-14 13:14
Till: julesrichardsonuk yahoo co uk
Kopia: evolution lists ximian com
Ämne: Re: [Evolution] list sorting order (messages, folders etc.) in 1.5

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 09:54 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 17:39 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 09:33 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:
> > > Is there a way of changing the default list sorting order in 1.5 so that
> > > lists are sorted in a case-insensitive way? (probably a Gnome thing, but
> > > is there a way to override it?)
> > Its based on your locale.  If it doesn't look right, move countries!
>
> :-)
>
> > The en_* locales appear to do this, en_AU.UTF-8 does anyway.
>
> Hmm, strange - I'll do some poking around.
>
> > > I'm actually of the opinion that Evo needs *way* more user-configurable
> > > stuff in it to be honest - Gnome seems to be such a total mess (and core
> > > behaviour changes with every release) that it reflects badly on Evo when
> > > the user has no control over a lot of settings (any plans for a KDE
> > > version of Evo? :)
> > You can't please everyone all of the time.
>
> Sure - but if an install provides sensible defaults (whether inherited
> from the desktop environment or not) then it doesn't hurt to allow the
> user to override them to tailor the app for specific needs, surely?
> configurability is the Unix way and one of its great strenghs, of course
> - the lack of user control is what puts so many people off Windows :-)

I'll just add my 5c to this. My particular beef (OK, *one* of them :-)
is that the folder list is always lexically ordered, and this ordering
even applies to "special" folders, by which I mean those that Evo
already knows about, such as Inbox, Trash and Junk. Ideally I'd like to
be able to arrange all folders in whatever order I like (while
respecting the hierarchy) but failing that it should at least be
possible to put these and maybe some others like Sent and Drafts up at
the top of the list. I have a large tree and spend way too much time
scrolling and hunting for stuff visually.

Just because Mozilla/Thunderbird, MacOS Mail, Kmail and AFAIK all the
commercial MUAs do something along these lines isn't a reason *not* to
do it.

poc