Re: [Evolution] Reinstalled my PC - missing contacts,calendar and tasks

After puchasing a new harddrive, i decided it was a good opertunity to
reinstall my linux pc. After installing the drive and the OS i copied
over my .evolution directory, and i am missing contacts, calendar and
tasks. i still have access to my old disk, could anyone tell me how to
recover the data?

You will need to copy ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/ as well, as this GConf
tree holds all your account information as well as the IDs which
identify your Contacts, Calendars and Tasks.

If you would have created that tree before Evolution runs for the first
time on the new system, Evo would have magically started from where it
left off...

The problem now is, that you likely already altered your data (Mail in
your case), if you are using POP3 -- so that your backup doesn't have
the latest data available.

Before trying anything, I would backup ~/.evolution as well as the GConf
tree mentioned above. Paranoia saves your day.

Thinking out loud... As you copied the ~/.evolution dir (and likely re-
created the Mail accounts), your Mail setup should be pretty much the
same as it was. No other component changed your previous data, so it
still should be as it was before.

Simply overwriting (see below) the GConf tree mentioned above should
restore all your settings -- and therefore pointing to all your old data
and even recreating your (similar?) Mail accounts...

Before messing with your GConf tree, be sure to entirely quit Evolution
by 'evolution --force-shutdown' and killing the GConf daemon. Logging
out of X, and killing the daemon as well as Evolution should be safest.
You can recreate that GConf dir from a console.

Well, if I just had some stupid thoughts, please feel free to correct
me, everybody...

HTH

...guenther