Re: [Evolution] Camel problem: HELO command failed

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:49 -0500, Eric Lambart wrote:
Hello,
I've moved across the US and am trying to set up a new mail server here
locally, before migrating me and my users' data from the old system.
I'm running netqmail 1.05 on Debian with SMTP AUTH and TLS patches,
among others, and have no trouble connecting to my new server using
telnet:

$ telnet 66.93.17.126 25
Trying 66.93.17.126...
Connected to 66.93.17.126.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ldap.nomeaning.net ESMTP
EHLO 192.168.0.33

250-STARTTLS
250-ldap.nomeaning.net
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 0
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
STARTTLS
220 ready for tls

Looks good so far.  Well, Evolution won't talk to the server.  The first
thing I've tried to do is set up a new account for this server (SMTP
only, for now), and set "Server requires authentication" ON.  When I
then click "Check for Supported Types", the UI gives me no feedback
other than disabling the "Check..." button.

So I shut down Evolution, and did this from the shell:
$ export CAMEL_DEBUG=all
$ evolution

When I try to check for supported auth types again, I get this debug
output:
Don't check for supported auht types or upgrade to 2.0.3.

sending : EHLO 192.168.0.33
received:
CamelException.setv(0xa7c59b8, 2, 'HELO command failed: Unknown')
sending : HELO 192.168.0.33
received: 250-STARTTLS
received: 250-ldap.nomeaning.net
received: 250-PIPELINING
received: 250-8BITMIME
received: 250-SIZE 0
received: 250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5

(evolution:5808): GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 225 (g_hash_table_lookup): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
 { GLib error repeated 7 times... }
sending : QUIT
received: 250 ldap.nomeaning.net
CamelException.setv((nil), 2, 'QUIT command failed: Requested mail action okay,
completed')

Since *I* know what kinds of authentication are supported, I tried
setting Evo to use Login authentication.  I've tried various settings
for "Use secure connection (SSL)" (it's not clear if this has anything
to do with TLS or if it means SMTP over SSL on port 443 or whatever...)
"always" means SSL, "whenever possible" means TLS.  We've fixed that in head already but it missed string freeze for 2.0.

When I try to send a message from Evo using that server, I also get the
'HELO command failed', but Evo *does* seem to understand that my server
is refusing the unauthenticated sender, because I get a "DATA command
failed: Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed." and a 553
error in my Camel log.  But in this case Camel is still reporting "HELO
command failed: Unknown" in the log.

Searching the archives for "HELO command failed" only brought up a
thread from August '02 that seems unrelated.

Questions:
1) does the fact that Evo appears to be recognizing the 553 (host not
allowed) message indicate that the "HELO[EHLO, really] command failed"
is not a problem?  Considering that Evo is subsequently sending an HELO
after the EHLO fails, it seems this could cause problems with ESMTP.
I don' tknow.  some servers have a spastic when they don't understand a command rather than ignoring it.
2) is the situation with "Check for supported types" likely to imply
that I've still got problems with my SMTP AUTH setup?  The lack of any
helpful feedback from the UI leaves me wondering where the problem is.
2.0.2 has a nasty bug with that.
3) somewhat tangential topic--to use STARTTLS (and eventually, IMAP with
SSL), what certificate do I need to import, and where?  I tried
importing the .pem file that my server is using (as an "Authority"), but
I'm not clear if I need to create a separate one for the client as well.
Hmm, I think it should happen automatically if you have the right authority imported wiht the right rights.  However i'm not sure if evolution's ui will let you do that and you'll just get a popup box asking you to 'use it anyway'.

P.S. Sometimes the 'HELO command failed:' is followed by something like
"Operation now in progress" rather than "Unknown"
Maybe its the 'comments in /etc/hosts breaks gethostname()' bug.  But i don't really know on that one.  The log looks funny, what about a log of actually sending mail, and not checking authtypes?

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"