[Evolution] sender authentication

I need to authenticate clients (traveling salesmen) when sending e-mail.
(I want to move away from pop-before-smtp and want to use sasl
authentication.)
The setup seems to work from the local network (clicking on check
supported types gives me the installed choices) and I can send e-mails.
However not so from the outside. It's probably a closed port problem.
which ports need to be open for this to work?

Anyone having experience with this?
Thanks
Tom