Re: [Evolution] Converting from Kmail

1. Duplicate messages - currently Evo doesn't provide for the deletion
of
duplicate messages in a mailbox (not the whole mail account, just one
folder). Kmail 1.6 allows this, and it was a godsend when converting
from a
Wintendo environment. Is this a possible addition ?

If I recall correctly, this was considered and not implemented-- it's
not clear that nearly-identical messages can be identified properly
without a lot of processing.

Interesting - I wonder how the kmail guys do it - it seems to work pretty
well, with only the rarest of false deletions - I had a mailbox with 16k
messages (deliberately created to test it) which was a double-import of
another mailbox - I *knew* there would be exactly 8192 duplicates, and kmail
shot through the file in less than 30 seconds.

2. Application of filters - currently Evo only allows filters to be
applied on
incomming or outgoing email. A "manual" option is needed, if not on a
rule by
rule basis (which would be my personal preference), for all the rules
currently defined. The reason: many people have their email all comming
in to
one inbox, like to scan it and read the important stuff BEFORE applying
filters to move it to relevant mailboxes for storage purposes.

This one does exist: go to whatever folder you want filtered, then press
Ctrl-A (select all), Ctrl-Y (applY filters).

You have to select them all; otherwise it just filters the one message.
Cheers, a.

Yes, I realise that, but when messages come in they are filtered automatically
(although, as Ron just pointed out, you can turn off the automatic filtering
in the account setup). What is needed is a third filter category of "manual"
- those rules NEVER get invoked automatically. So we have "incomming" and
"outgoing", which get applied automatically, and "manual" which must be
MANUALLY invoked.

For example, in kmail I have all my mail go into the InBox where I read/scan
it before filtering it (invoking the filters manually) - except for log files
from several systems which I manage which are automatically filtered into the
appropriate mailbox as they arrive. Others get filtered as I reply to them..

I know the duplicates problem may be a bit more involved programming-wise than
I understand, but surely the addition of another rule category is reasonably
trivial ?  I'm not trying to dictate how Evo should work by any means, it
just seems to me to be a logical addition (and even Outlook can do it !!)

Jon