Re: [Evolution] How Best to use Evolution?

I've been using Evolution for quite some time now. I use IMAP and keep
most of my email on my server. Over time, I have created a number of
folders (on the server side) and use filters to move mail into those
folders. I'm curious to know if that is the 'best' way to use the
program tho - would I be better off (and I'm not exactly sure what I
mean by that :)) if I just left all the messages in my Inbox and created
VFolders to group messages (I have one folder for this mailing list, one
for Fedora Test messages, one for corporate email etc.). Is there any
reason for choosing one approach over the other?

IMHO it's mainly a personal preference.

There are other reasons to use vFolders (aggregating multiple mail
folders, entirely or based on special rules, displaying only matching
mails or the whole thread, etc.), which is not possible with mail
folders alone.

Thus using vFolders additionally to the physical mail folder structure
is a valid and useful approach.

AFAIK using vFolders only with one giant mail folder does use more
resources (memory) and starting up Evolution will take longer. [1]

That said, relying solely on vFolders likely will be a bad idea, if you
ever get forced to use another MUA... ;)

HTH

...guenther

[1] From my own experince -- at least I think so. My ever growing SPAM
folders, which are the source for a couple of vFolders to track
efficiency of some SA rules seem to slow down startup every month. Time
to split it in archives...