Re: [Evolution] RFC 2476 - Message Submission

authentication/secure channels are already possible with SMTP.

Jeff

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 22:58, Michael C. Neel wrote:
I read some of it, and I'm not sure what they are trying to do.
Sounds like they would put alot of work on developers of smpt servers
and clients, and all this would be wasted because spammers could just
as easily make they needed changes too.

A better idea IMHO?  Have mail servers carry certs like secure http
sites.  Cert fails verification with third party?  No mail from you
then.  Running a server that allowed forged info, and get caught?
Cert revoked.  Sure a spammer can still spam away, but it wouldn't be
a forged source and you could contact the server admin, and if the
complaite to the cert authority got to be numerous they would have
trouble getting a renewal.  Bonus?  Encrypted transmission of emails
would be possible =)

...it's fun to dream anyway, we can't even get IPv6 inplace, lol.

Mike