Re: debugging evolution-vcard-importer. Was: Re: [Evolution] error on .vcf (vcards) import

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 21:15 +0200, Stan Pinte wrote:
Stan Pinte wrote:

>>the very process is:
>>
>>stan      2945  0.5  1.0 24692 5576 ?        S    16:46   0:00
>>/usr/lib/evolution/1.4/evolution-vcard-importer
>>--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_VCard_ImporterFactory --oaf-ior-fd=52
>>
>>My question is: can I start it by hand? I'll try and see.
>>

>It is not the case. I can start it, but as soon as I import a vcf file
>in evolution, evolution starts its own vcard-importer bonobo component.
>
>Now how will I proceed to debug what's happening?
>
>--> open a log file in vcard-importer????

that's what I am doing...but I run on the following problem:

I use debian, and I have one instance of evolution installed.

I start my development instance using
~/projects/evolutionxxx/.../bin/evolution.

The problem is that for vcf importing, the importer is loaded from
/usr/lib/evolution/1.4/evolution-vcard-importer, not from my development
instance, even if
I put the the ~/projects/evolutionxxx/.../lib directory in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or in the PATH....

an idea?
BONOBO_ACTIVATION_PATH is the important one, it needs to point to the relevent .server file.

And to debug stuff like this, run evo, get to the importer stage, then attach to the process with gdb before doing the actual import.  The importer process should be activated before it runs.

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Ximian Evolution and Free Software Developer

Novell, Inc.