Re: [Evolution] Spamassassin, Junk/Not-Junk, Training

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 03:12 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
You can do this already, simply set-up a filter where you filter on the
x-spam* header, as appropriate.

The junk/not junk will run through the sa-learn stuff, it doesn't
actually move the mail anywhere, the junk folder is only a vfolder.

If you already have the subject altered, you can similarly just mark the
mail as junk in a filter.

I'm sorry ~Zed, I must be a little thick.  I did go read the
evolution-hackers list archives back to last September or so and saw all
the discussion of how spam filtering might work, but never actually
understood how it actually came out.

I'm using the latest 1.5 snapshot (well at least as of late this
morning).

I'm still trying to figure out what the various junk/not-junk/filter
junk options and actions are supposed to do. Of course I realize that
due to the nature of 1.5 they might actually be doing something else.
<G>

Here's what I've found so far.

1) I selected a message from this list, and pushed the Junk button.  The
message disappeared.  I expected to find it in the junk folder, but it
seems to have disappeared entirely. Note I did this experiment before I
updated evo1.5 today, so this was from a version a few days old.

If mail just disappears when you mark it as junk, what recourse do you
have if you make a mistake.

2) I then tried making a filter which says:

   If Subject starts with [SPAM] then Set Status Junk

I noticed that there was also a junk test in the if clause but I'm not
sure what that does.

I then opened up my Spam v-folder (which selects all messages whose
subject contains [SPAM] in the inbox) selected all but the first message
and picked apply filters, and nothing seemed to happen, but after a few
seconds the selected messages just disappeared, but the unread message
count in the Spam vfolder was still showing 3 unread

I've gone away for a couple of hours now and came back to see the same 3
messages in the SPAM folder but not visible.

But... playing around a bit more I decided to see if the messages were
still in the inbox. That's when I opened the twistie on my e-mail
account (which uses IMAP by the way) and discovered a second junk folder
there.  AHA! That's where the messages went.

So now it appears that there are TWO junk folders, I guess that this one
is kind of a vfolder, although you guys seem to be hiding junk messages
when I view the INBOX, so I don't know where the messages reside
physically.

The other one appears to be a local folder, but it's not deletable (at
least EVO won't let me delete it. Why is this one there?  It confused me
to no end.

Long sigh....

So now do I have it right?

1) Hitting the Junk button flags the mail as junk which makes it show up
in the Junk folder and hides it in others, at the same time it invokes
sa-learn to learn it as spam.

2) Hitting the not junk button (which is only enabled when mail in the
junk folder is selected) removes the flag which "takes it out" of the
junk folder and makes it show up in other folders as appropriate, and
runs it through sa-learn to learn it as ham.

I'm still not sure what filter junk does.