[Evolution] The attached email behaves very oddly in Evo 1.4.6

Using Evolution 1.4.6 + gtkhtml3.0-3.0.10-0.ximian.6.1 on Red Hat Linux
9. Someone sent me the following email containing some garbled output
from Emacs on Mac OS X. The text of the email displays properly in the
preview pane, but if I try to save it to a text file or reply to it the
text is truncated at the line where the gobbledygook starts. Given that
the text does indeed contain gobbledygook(TM) I leave it up to the
developers to decide what Evolution should and shouldn't do with it. I
would have put this on bugzilla but as I can't save the file I couldn't
see any way of attaching it to a bug report.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com

--- Begin Message ---
hello,

much thanks to d. d. brierton for these much needed instructions.

i have tried been repeatedly going back and forth between html-helper-mode and psgml/mmm/etc-modes for some time now, each one seeming a bit greener when im using the other.

i have just switched back to psgml now in light of this how-to and was hoping someone might be able to help me work out some kinks...

my biggest problem currently seems to be with indentation in a php files. here's what i get when i press the tab key in a (HTML[PHP] MMM) mode buffer:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  looking-at(nil)
  c-backward-sws()
  c-guess-basic-syntax()
  c-indent-line()
#[nil "¬>É)(JC(B -Hƒ≈x√ ∆ )-Ai∆ XÉ\"« !Ç'(JG(B !))á á" [indent-line-function column (indent-relative indent-relative-maybe) beginning-of-line "\n " nil current-indentation indent-line-to] 2 690153 nil]()
  c-indent-command(1)
* call-interactively(c-indent-command)

i am using andrew choi's emacs 21.3 for carbon os x 10.3 (though i get the same results from the fink x11 dist).

also, i have removed EVERYTHING from my .emacs config files except for what is listed in brierton's how-to.

perhaps i should just go back my latest html-helper-mode configuration (but how nice it would be to have html indentation in php buffers...)

thanks for any suggestions,
emory