[Evolution] Address lookup hangup

I was experimenting with looking up addresses via our campus LDAP server while hooked to campus from home via our VPN. Now that I'm not connected via the VPN, I've removed the LDAP server from the address book sources in Evolution, since the LDAP server is firewalled. But it is still the case that Evolution seems to stop dead after I type the first few letters of the To: address in an outgoing mail. I even deleted ~/evolution/addressbook.xml. This is maddening.

Evolution 1.4.5 on Fedora Core 1.