Re: [Evolution] Compiled and installed; Now more problems getting started

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 21:35 -0500, Andrew Conkling wrote:

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 20:52, Not Zed wrote:
try running bonobo-slay (it'll reboot your wohle desktop if you run the
gnome one) and re-run.

That didn't work.

dunno what else.  maybe stuff isn't in the bonobo server files path,
note that the bonobo-activation-server is used to run everything else on
a gnome desktop, and it might not have the BONOBO_ACTIVATION_PATH set
right.

What should I have it include?  I think I'll have to run a wrapper at
startup anyway--to set all sorts of env vars--so I can just add this to
the list.

Needs to have the location of the .server files.

e.g. i install into /opt/gnome2, and i use:

BONOBO_ACTIVATION_PATH=/opt/gnome2/lib/bonobo/servers

And yeah i setup a few things in a file too (LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the
other important one).

You may have to try using strace to see why things are failing (but that
can be painful, it spits out so much crap and it can be hard to know
what to filter out).

I get around this by not running any gnome desktop on my devel platform,
it just causes too many conflicts.

I'm not *running* Gnome either, should I uninstall it?  (I thought Evo
needed Gnome to run...)

It needs some of it.  GNOME is a development environment, and it also
includes a desktop, and some applications.  So if you're not running
nautilus ('the desktop'), it shouldn't matter.

Having just rebuilt evo, "i feel your pain".  I think my neighbours
might be getting used to the foul language eminating from my house by
now, at all hours of the day and night ...