[Evolution] Personal Calendar Server

Hi there,

I have multiple desktop systems on which I want to read my Email and
keep both my TODO-list and Calendar. Most of my colleagues use, of
course, Microsoft Outlook combined with Microsoft Exchange. Because we
do have a IMAP gateway I prefer not to use the Ximian Connector plugin
and go for the IMAP protocol. Of course I cannot use the TODO and
Calendar features natively with Evolution. All my groupware clients (on
all desktop hosts) are Evolution, so it's okay that I will be using a
Linux-only protocol.

I found out that Evolution uses something called it's Personal Calendar
Server (PCS) to access both it's Calendar and TODO-list.

My question now is, how do I set-up such a Personal Calendar Server on a
specific host (I prefer with no Gtk+ or GNOME libs installed, I do have
root on some server, but this server has no X installed for this is not
needed anyway). Once the Personal Calendar Server is up and running I
would like to migrate all my hosts to use that URI, so also how do I
set-up (of configure) my Evolution-running hosts to use that central
URI, sharing the Calendar and TODO list.

Please do answer with a RTFM-like answer, in case you do I can reply
that there probably is no such "FM" available online at this moment,
making you look like an idiot instead of you me with that RTFM-like
answer :-).

Oh, if there is such a manual .. replying a pointer to it would both
make the google-news archives and me smarter about this "Personal
Calendar Server"-thingy. It looks like PCS is one of the most hidden
features in the OpenSource world, at this moment.

I could, of course, also install a OpenGroupware.org server. But
somewhere in my head a little voice is telling me that this is a bit
overkill for the Calendar and TODO-list of only one (or two, three)
person(s).

Oh, I would also like to store my personal contact list on that same
server, but I guess that I can use ldap for that. Not that I ever
succeeded in configuring slapd on Debian Woody (and I did tried it a few
times in a hurry), but I guess someday I will. Or maybe, if somebody has
some good pointers to information about putting up a ldap-server with
authentication on which I can host my personal contact-list..reply :)

Thanks..

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org