Re: [Evolution] Evolution/IMAP recommendation?

tor, 04.03.2004 kl. 05.07 skrev Jean-Marc V. Liotier:

If you want a big, full-featured, scalable server, that's Cyrus. Another
advantage of Cyrus is that it has server-side filtering, using Sieve.
With it, you can setup mail filters on the server, and all IMAP clients
will take advantage of that automatically. Most webmail applications
(IMP, Squirrelmail) have Sieve plugins, and that's a convenient way to
administer your filters.

Server side filtering used to be a unique feature of Cyrus. Now with
maildrop, Courier has similar functionality. Cyrus still leads the "big,
full-featured, scalable server" segment, but Courier is in my opinion
simpler and functionally sufficient. With about a small hundred LDAP
accounts we switched from Cyrus to Courier a few months ago when a
server migration gave us the opportunity to do so, and we are very happy
with Courier. Sqwebmail provides a web interface to control all aspects
of Maildrop's server side filtering (the web interface actually edits
the user's .mailfilterrc). There is also a plugin for squirrelmail -
http://www.squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=210

I use Courier IMAP (2.2.2) and maildrop (1.6.3, LDAP-based) too, and in
contrast to those who've experienced Evo hangs with Cyrus, Evo 1.4.5
never, ever hangs with Courier 2.2, even under extreme load, many
clients of different types active on the IMAP server. Earlier combos of
Evo/Courier did hang.

The downside is, that Evo doesn't recognize Courier fs-based shared
folders, whereas most other clients do.

--Tonni

--

mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl