Re: [Evolution] Evolution/IMAP recommendation?

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 14:00, Florin Andrei wrote:

Actually, i'm using Cyrus even though i'm the only user, precisely
because of Sieve; with it, i get the same filtering functionality no
matter what's the IMAP client i'm using (two workstations running Evo, a
webserver running Squirrelmail, and another webserver running IMP).

I look forward to the day when Evolution will be able to "talk Sieve"
with the Cyrus IMAPd server.

I'll drink to that :-) I use Evo on a laptop, Evo on a desktop,
MacOS Mail on another laptop and Mozilla on another desktop (on Windows
;-), and IMP webmail from all of them, so keeping all the filters in
sync is a bore. A nice interface to Sieve would be just the ticket,
though it wouldn't cover the virtual folder stuff which is a big
win with Evo.

I've seen a lot of examples of shitty IMAP servers causing problems with
Evo on this list so if anyone (especially Jeff or Not Zed) have a
preferred server, please let me know.

I actually have a feeling that the IMAP code in Evolution is just
reaching maturity. I could be wrong, but i've seen issues with Evo on
IMAP servers where other clients worked fine.

Me too. I get hangs (permanent, dead-in-the-water, UI alive but no
mail traffic) several times a day. I'm seriously thinking of putting
"evolution --force-shutdown" in a desktop button. This is Fedora RC1,
KDE 3.2, Cyrus IMAP. And it's not just a slow server: I frequently get
so fed with Evo doing this that I run Thunderbird for light relief. It
starts instantly and never hangs (same server, same account), though
it does crash occasionally and I don't like the UI much.

And in case anyone asks, I bother with Evo because even with the freezes
it's still the best GUI-based mail client around. I complain not because
I hate it but because I like it.

Sorry for rambling. Cheers

poc