Re: [Evolution] Transfer to new computer

From: Not Zed <notzed ximian com>
To: "Celsun ." <tarcell hotmail com>
CC: evolution lists ximian com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Transfer to new computer
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:24:22 +0800

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 14:53 -0400, Celsun . wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does the following include ALL steps to transfer evolution settings to a new
> computer?
>
> Old computer:
>
> Mandrake 9.2 Evolution 1.4.6
>
> evolution --force-shutdown
>
> cd ~
>
> find ~/evolution/local/ -name &#8220;mbox.*&#8221; -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> tar -cvzf /mnt/jumpdrive/evolution.tar.gz evolution .gconf/apps/evolution
>

> New computer:
>
> Mandrake 10.0 Evolution 1.4.6
>
> evolution --force-shutdown
>
> gconftool-2 --shutdown
>
> cd ~
>
> tar -xvzf /mnt/jumpdrive/evolution.tar.gz
>

> When I did this the first time, I didn't know about the
> &#8220;gconftool-2&#8221; shutdown.  Although the transfer to the new
> computer was successful at the time, today when I opened Evolution,
> everything I restored was GONE.

Everything?  Or just your settings?  I dont believe everything would be
gone.

No messages, no contacts, no folders, no filters, nada from the old computer.

I just transferred to a new hdd, and the above steps worked fine (evo
1.5 mind you, but it should make no difference).

As I stated above, the first time I didn't know about the gconftoo-2 --shutdown part (found that in the Mail Archive after the fact) and didn't do that.

Today using the steps above, it did work.
--

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Thanks notzed

Celsun