Re: [Evolution] Evolution printing issue under RHEL 3.0

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 12:06 -0400, Norman P. B. Joseph wrote:
I have a user who can print fine from other applications on his RHEL 3.0
box (mozilla, command line, redhat-config-printer test page, etc.) but
not from evolution (1.4.5).  Attempting to print a message from
evolution silently fails.  Not being very conversant in Gnome I have no
idea where to begin debugging this.  Can anyone offer any helpful
suggestions?

One thing that may or may not be an issue is that he's not running the
default gnome desktop environment, but rather is running with a rather
stripped-down fvwm environment.  I believe all the proper packages for
supporting gnome/evolution have been installed, but I could be missing
something without knowing it.

Several of us have had problems printing from Evolution (both the 1.4
and 1.5 versions). The common thread is that the default paper size
comes up as A4.  Ask the user to select the paper size tab on the print
dialog box and set it to a size which the printer supports.

If that is the problem then the trick is to set the default to something
other than A4. The gnome print dialog is supposed to get default printer
settings from CUPS, and some people found that they had the defaults set
wrong in CUPS. In my case for whatever reason, gnome print isn't finding
any of my CUPS printers, and was only giving me a default printer or pdf
file as printer options. I still haven't figured out why that is, but I
finally found the settings
in /usr/share/libgnomeprint/2.2.1.3/printers/GENERIC.xml
and /usr/share/libgnomeprint/2.2.1.3/printers/PDF-WRITER.xml

where I changed  the lines:
     <Key Id="Media">
        <Key Id="PhysicalSize" Value="A4" />
     </Key>

to:

     <Key Id="Media">
        <Key Id="PhysicalSize" Value="USLetter" />
     </Key>