Re: [Evolution] Labels and filters

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 15:47 +0200, Roland Orre wrote:
I start getting quite pleased with the evolution behaviour now.
I'm running 1.4.6. Now when I've started using filter full out
(OK, I'm still not filtering through a command like spamassassin
but soon), but I've also started using the virtual folders
which are great. (I occasionally have some problems with
execution of filters though, sometimes I have to run them
manually. Anyone who knows what can be wrong?)

Now there are few things which are not working very well:

* In filters you can set attribute "color", but this is not
  very useful, as you can not search for or select things
  according to color. The color attribute can be removed.

* In filters you should be able to set attribute "label".
sure, but you can't, this has been overlooked for some reason, all the code is there to handle it iirc.
* Every message should be able to have many labels.
no, that isn't what labels are.  you want another feature.
* You should be able to add new own defined labels.
again, you want a new feature.
* On labels you should then be able to search for and also
  to create virtual folders from (Ok this you can already).

(What is score, is that for scoring spam or importance?)

The "folder" methaphor is quite practical when later cleaning
up old mails, but not really a practical issue when viewing them.
With the multiple label methapor it is much easier to organize
the mails. And it is probably also much more efficient than
organizing virtual folders based upon general search critia.

I've recently started using gmail (google mail) as well and I
really love their label system (and simple filter and
search system).
its just a totally different approach to the vfolder thing.
By cleaning up the label so they become more dynamical, and
more ortogonal, then evolution will become the unbeatable local
mail handler as gmail is on the web.

Sure it'd be grand.  But you can already do most of this with vfolders or normal filters.

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"