Re: [Evolution] SMTP: MAIL FROM response error: Unknown

remove blank lines and comment blocks from /etc/hosts

it's a glibc bug in gethostbyaddr_r which randomly sticks a \n into your
hostname string. (in your case it seems to be at the end, which means
that the SMTP server gets a empty command after EHLO)

Jeff