Re: [Evolution] Open a specific browser...

Is it possible to specify a specific browser to open the links in
Evolution?
Because it is always using Mozilla by default, when I would like
Firebird to be used.

Sure, here you go. Have fun...

Note: This isn't limited to Mozilla. Even the script can easily be
adjusted to your favorite browser in many cases. Firebird notes at the
bottom.

...guenther

So here we go again with the most-wanted answer... ;-)

Setting default browser (Evolution 1.4 / Gnome 2.x)

Open the "Gnome Control Center" > Preferred Applications > Web Browser
or simply run:
$ gnome-default-applications-properties

 check 'Custom Web Browser'
 Command: gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"

This will present you every link (clicked in a Gnome 2 app) in a new
mozilla window. If you prefer tabs (instead of new windows) like me,
change it similar like that:

 Command: mozilla-remote.sh "%s"

Have the attached script in your path (or change the command to have the
whole path) and make the script executable.

If you want to use another browser rather than Mozilla, you have to
adjust the command (or the script for most of them, to enable tabs).

Setting default browser using *gconftool* (Gnome 2.0/2.2)

You will need GConf (and the gconf daemon running) to set this. If you
do *not* have the Gnome Control Center installed, there is a way to set
this using GConf directly:

See, which values are stored in that sub-tree. Save the output to a
file, so you can revert to those settings!

$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown
 command = mozilla %s
 need-terminal = false
 enabled = true

Now, this should enter all those values (at least, they work for me):

$ gconftool-2 --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/command 'mozilla %s'
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/need-terminal false
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/enabled true

Setting default browser using *gconftool* (Gnome 2.4)

This is basically the as above, just some GConf key change:

The relevant key on Gnome 2.4 has changed, but is pretty much similar.
Simply substitute "unknown" by "http", especially in the commands to set
the values.
 /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http

Also, the "https" branch may be useful. However, this is *not* set using
the GUI method mentioned above.

Firebird
--------

To use Firebird, simply adjust the 'mozilla-* %s' strings to read
'firebird %s' (or whatever your firebird executable is called).

To use Firebird with *Tabs*, have the attached 'firebird-remote.sh'
script in your path (or change the command to have the whole path) and
make the script executable. (Adjust the script, if the firebird
executable is not in your path).