Re: [Evolution] square-letter-square-letter, evolution 1.05, gnome 2.4, debian-testing

Upgrade. 1.0.5 is like 3 years old now.

Jeff

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 14:29, Joost Witteveen wrote:
Hi,

In some configurations, and I cannot figure out what configurations
excactly, Evolution starts to show a square/space before each
character/letter, in the window where it displays the body of a message.

On the main system we use, some people are plagued by it, while others
aren't. They use XFree servers that are identically configurated, so
that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Usually it happens when Evolution tries to display HTML email -- the
HTML part (including the `headers' in the normal Message Display state)
gets `squared up'.

Sometimes (as can be seen in the screenshot below) evolution decides to
show spaces instead of squares inbetween each letter.

Screenshot:
  http://co.uea.org/~joostje/evolution.png
Here you see the lovely Ximian welcome message displayed in the `squared
up' format, and this email I tried to type in Evolution (to the right).

XF86Config-4, font part (simplest try, adding more lines seems to make
no difference):

Section "Files"
  FontPath  "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
  FontPath  "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Does anyone know how I could fix this (or where I should start looking
to fix it?)

Versions:
evolution 1.05
gnome 2.4
debian-testing (been having the problems for several mounths)
linux-2.4.24 & 2.6.1 (and others)

$ cat .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
# Autowritten by gnome-settings-daemon. Do not edit

include "/home/joostje/.gtkrc.mine"

$ cat .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
# Autowritten by gnome-settings-daemon. Do not edit
include "/home/joostje/.gtkrc.mine"

$ cat .gtkrc.mine
No such file or directory.

OK, I copied the .gtkrc.mine file from another system, and now
I have:
$ cat .gtkrc.mine
style "default"
{
    fontset = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*"
}

widget_class "*" style "default"

And now I notice one change: in the email-editing window (right in the
screenshot above), everything displays OK now when editing non-html
email. When I select HTML-email, however, it displays the squares again
(as seen in the Ximian welcome mesage above)

Thanks,
joost witteveen