Re: [Evolution] Comments and questions on the Evolution mailer

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 07:44 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
Hello,

I have been using Evolution (both 1.x and 2.0) as mailer for a while now
and the current version is 2.03. I have some usability questions and
comments on this mailer:
I'll presume you mean 2.0.3, there is no such version as 2.03.
1. Is it possible to remove attachments, to save disk space?
no
2. Changing time format in the message list area to 24 hour format,
without changing the LOCALE. I have not not found out how to do this yet
and it is _very_ annoying to use the AM/PM format.
no, you will need to change the locale/lang or at least LC_TIME variable (i presume).
2. Colors, the default enhancement color for e.g. the mail folder is
dark blue over black text. This is almost unreadable. In the message
list area the colors are dark blue over white text, this is Ok.
thats 2 point 2's.  Hmm, this depends on your theme.  The default looks clealry readable to me, perhaps you have some monitor setting issues.  Try a different theme perhaps, the folder list is the gtk default, the other is an evolution customisation.
3. Sort and find unread mails. Moving to next unread mail seems to be
possible with . and ], but I have not found an meny entry. Furthermore,
Tried looking in the view->goto menu?
how to sort mails so that the unread mails are last or first in the
message list area. Sorting in cronological order is made impossible with
the default way of showing the date/time of messages. At least it does
not result in the correct sorting order...
Try clicking on the message status icon column.  Or doing a complex sort via a custom view.
4. Replying without including the message text (except to remove all
text manually)
File a feature request I guess.  That isn't a reply anyway, since reply implies you have content to reply to.
5. Replying and being able to select to include/not to include
attachements.
Not possible.
6. Possibility to use e.g. Emacs keyboard commands for editing text. I
have been using Emacs VM for a long time and VM still has many
advantages compared to the more modern Evolution.
This is a gnome setting, try your user settings
7. FAQ: When clicking on the FAQ
http://ximian.com/products/evolution/faq.html you are forwarded to
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html which is
_not_ an FAQ, only a brief feature description of Evolution...
Oh well.   The whole ximian site is deprecated, it sounds like you're starting from the wrong spot.  Try forge.novell.com and looking for the evolution project.