Re: [Evolution] Evolution Memory use

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 21:03 +0100, Fionn Behrens wrote:
Hello all,

after having found out that Evolution now reads news too, I decided to
give the whole thing a try and imported all my Contacts (700+), began to
use the calendar and configured about 2 dozen newsgroups.
Previously I had only used Evolution to read mail.

After all, I have to say it works pretty good and I greatly appreciate
the speed of Evolution even with big folders.

Alas, after a few days I began to experience the other side of the
medal, which looks like this:

  PID USER   PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+   COMMAND
28914 fionn  15   0  388m 233m  32m S  0.0 30.8 3:17.95 evolution-2.0

People, these numbers are incredible. They basically mean Evolution with
all features cant be used on any machine thats older than maybe a year
or so without buying another 256Megs just for ONE app! And I havent even
counted in the evolution-data-server yet, which jumps into the ring at

19613 fionn  16   0  213m  15m  12m S  0.0  2.1 0:00.85 evolution-data-

another 213Megs. Guys, what-in-the-universe are you doing with such huge
amounts of memory and what do you suggest can I do to tune that down at
least a little?

there are some leaks around which we are trying to fix. 2.0.3 does
include the fix for some of them, so please upgrade and let us know if
you see any improvement
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo novell com>