Re: [Evolution] Looking for a Plugin to delete duplicate mails!

BTW: Evolution 1.2.x is pretty old (like years).

Planned to upgrade alongwith the OS to Fedora or Whitebox. I didnt know
that a rpm for RH9 was available...guess just assumed it wont be
supported....same as RH ;-) My mistake. Will definitely upgrade. Thanks.

It's worth it. And yes, it's worth upgrading to 2.0 too, if your Gnome
version is sufficiently recent. ;)

Apart from that there are other possibilities to delete duplicate mails
not bound to Evolution. 'formail' for example can be used to delete
duplicates (based on Message-ID headers, which are not guaranteed to be
unique).

Now this is NEWS to me....I thought that message IDs were guaranteed
unique...as each server generated its own, with random factors thrown in
and never gererated same ids. Will anyone shed some light?

As the Message-IDs are generated de-centralized, there simply is no way
to guarantee its uniqueness.

I posted a solution (working, with some caveats) a couple of months ago
to this list. If you are interested in that (command line only) script,
I can search for it and post the links again.

I tried searching the archive, to save you the work but could not find
the link....Please do let me have the link...so I can try it out.

I just searched my archives. For the script itself and a couple of
warnings, caveats and notes, please read this link (maybe the whole
discussions) and all links mentioned there.

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2004-May/037188.html

Use it at your own risk. And make backups of your mail first. Paranoia
saves your day.

I also think one thing that may work is to create mailbox for each pop3
provider and download mail using getmail or something similar. Then to
use some mail filtering tool like procmail to delete the duplicate mails
in the local mailbox. Then use Evolution to collect mail from local pop3
mailbox. Any comments...Guenther?...Anybody?

fetchmail, procmail, IMAP here, works great. You can filter dups on the
fly using the one formail command as a receipe in procmail, but
fetchmail itself should take care of not downloading the same bunch of
messages twice, even on a flaky connection.

...guenther  (out for some days)