Re: [Evolution] Setting default web browser

I have been using Evolution for some time and am quite happy generally.
However, I would prefer that links to web sites in emails opened in
Opera which is my preferred browser. It currently opens Mozilla.

How can I change the default web browser?

As Jeff keeps forgetting, here is what my Sent mail folder knows about
this issue... ;)  Yes, I gotta dig *deep*, as you are still using
Evolution 1.2.

Below the Evo 1.2 solution recent version is covered too, for
completeness.

So here we go again with the most-wanted answer... ;-)

...guenther

Setting default browser (Evolution 1.2 / Gnome 1.4)

Check your ~/.gnome/Gnome file. You need something like that:

[URL Handlers]
default-show=gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"

If there are http-show or similar entries, change them, too.

gnome-moz-remote %s
 will only open a new mozilla, when none running
 displays the URL in the current mozilla (old content overwritten)

gnome-moz-remote --newwin %s
 will only open a new mozilla, when none running
 displays the URL in a new mozilla window

I use the following default-show entry:

default-show=/home/guenther/bin/mozilla-remote.sh "%s"

With the attached mozilla-remote.sh script (must be executable) it acts
like the --newwin option, but displays the new URL in a new *tab* if
there is already a mozilla running.

I don't lose the displayed URL and can even click multiple URLs and see
them all in the same mozilla.

If you have a ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote file, check it, rename it or
plain delete it. You can change settings there too, although you won't
need it.

Setting default browser (Evolution 1.4 / Gnome 2.x)

Open the "Gnome Control Center" > Preferred Applications > Web Browser
or simply run:
$ gnome-default-applications-properties

 check 'Custom Web Browser'
 Command: gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"

This will present you every link (clicked in a Gnome 2 app) in a new
mozilla window. If you prefer tabs (instead of new windows) like me,
change it similar like that:

 Command: mozilla-remote.sh "%s"

Have the attached script in your path (or change the command to have the
whole path) and make the script executable.

If you want to use another browser rather than Mozilla, you have to
adjust the command (or the script for most of them, to enable tabs).

Setting default browser using *gconftool* (Gnome 2.0/2.2)

You will need GConf (and the gconf daemon running) to set this. If you
do *not* have the Gnome Control Center installed, there is a way to set
this using GConf directly:

See, which values are stored in that sub-tree. Save the output to a
file, so you can revert to those settings!

$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown
 command = mozilla %s
 need-terminal = false
 enabled = true

Now, this should enter all those values (at least, they work for me):

$ gconftool-2 --set --type=string
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/command 'mozilla %s'
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/need-terminal false
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/enabled true

Setting default browser using *gconftool* (Gnome 2.4)

This is basically the as above, just some GConf key change:

The relevant key on Gnome 2.4 has changed, but is pretty much similar.
Simply substitute "unknown" by "http", especially in the commands to set
the values.
 /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http

Also, the "https" branch may be useful. However, this is *not* set using
the GUI method mentioned above.