Re: [Evolution] Mailbox storage location

I use Evo from a NIS account whose home directory is NFS mounted.  I
currently have about 200MB of mail (using mbox format on all folders,
with body indexing off).

It's beginning to get painfully slow accessing many of my folders,
especially when moving messages around.

I've read on other posts about the other message formats, and think that
maildir may help this alot.

What I'd really like to do, however, is be able to specify a different
location (on my local box) for Evo to keep all its data, so I'm not
constantly dragging this stuff over the network (I only use Evo on this
one machine - no need to have it in the NFS exported home).

Is this possible?  If not, would maildir help my plight?

Well, I checked the opposite with a somewhat older version, but it
should be possible, to have your mails stored locally, using a symlink.

If you move the entire ~/evolution/local/ folder to your machine [1],
you could try setting a symlink for local/ pointing to a path on a local
partition.

Be sure to stop Evolution and run 'evolution --force-shutdown' before
moving that data.

Regarding the maildir format: I don't know, if this will speed up
things, but it is likely IMHO. I noted some delay when deleting mails
from folders worth multiple 10 MByte of data in mbox format. As I blamed
it to the nature of mbox (the whole file has to rewritten), using
maildir could speed this up.

...guenther

[1]  You will not be able to access this data from any other machine and
thus rendering NFS kinda useless...