Re: [Evolution] strange changes

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 15:50, Paul Harouff wrote:
On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 13:35, Kathy ODriscoll wrote:
And I have tried the configure make make install thing, doesnt work for
me the way it does for the rest of the linux community...yet anyway

I found that recent distributions don't work well unless you install new
applications with RPM files. The ./configure, make, make install
procedure doesn't update the dependency databases which screws up all
the other applications.

Sometimes, really good/generous programmers will include a *.spec file
in the package. If you see a file named programname.spec you can create
your own RPM. With SuSE you have to make some modifications. But, in
your case they are usually written for RH so you don't have to worry.

Procedure for using *.spec file (I'm not used to RH, so someone can
proofread this for me and make corrections if necessary):

mkdir /usr/local/packages/programname

download programname-0.0.0.tar.gz to /usr/local/packages/programname
I use /usr/local/packages to help me keep track of what modifications I
have made to the system from 3rd party source files.

cd /usr/local/packages/programname
tar xzvf programname-0.0.0.tar.gz
If there is a .spec file in the package, the procedure is even more
easy:
rpmbuild -tb programname-0.0.0.tar.gz
will (if your're lucky) build the programname-0.0.0.i386.rpm ans save it
in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
New rpm versions don't have the rpm -b (for building packages) anymore,
it's split to the separate rpmbuild program. Both are capable of
building directly out of a tar file archive by using the -t option
instead of -b.

Hope this helps
 Ralf