Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.4.4 performance on KDE 3.1

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 21:27, Paul Hands wrote:
Hi folks,

Should I submit the following as a bug?

I'm running evolution 1.4.4 (and also the latest snaps - no
difference) on KDE 3.1 (various versions - 3.1.1, 3.1.3) on SuSE 8.2.
System is a 2Ghz IBM T30 laptop with 2G RAM, Radeon mobility graphics
adaptor, XFree86-4.3.0-15.

The graphics performance is awful.

Anything which causes a window redraw (without changing window sizes)
takes around 8 seconds to complete.  That includes changing folders -
something which happens a lot.  The redraw of the summary and preview
panes takes the most time - the folder bar needs about 3 seconds to
look complete.

If I resize the window (main or composer)  the redraw can take up to
30 seconds.  During that time, the mouse cursor is grabbed, and is
restricted to a screen area which seems to be the old size of the
window.

If I switch into a gnome session (gnome 2.2 as supplied with the SuSE
distro) instead of KDE, graphics performance is fine.

I don't want to start a gnome versus KDE thread here - it serves no
purpose.  However, I bet a lot of evolution users are on KDE as well,
and therefore I'd like to know..............

1. Is it just me, or are other KDE users seeing this.  If so, what
distro etc?
2. Is it restricted to Evolution, or are other gnome apps affected in
the same way?

and of course,

3. Is it worth submitting a bug?

Regards,

Paul

AMD 1.2ghz, 768mb RAM, 80gb 7200rpm EIDE, tweaked MDK 9.1+ system (every
possible update), HD tweaked with customer hdparm settings, latest
NVidia driver for the GF with 64mb RAM, running XFCE4 - still
lagging...although other applications fly like the dickens...

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
The carbonyl is polarized, The delta end is plus. The nucleophile will
thus attack, The carbon nucleus. Addition makes an alcohol, Of types
there are but three. It makes a bond, to correspond, From C to shining
C. -- Prof. Frank Westheimer, to "America the Beautiful"