[Evolution] Loss of LDAP access after upgrade to 1.4.4

I've never really been able to have ldap work with evo to my liking, but
at least in 1.2.4 it worked a little.  What didn't work was autocomplete
against ldap.  What did work was the ldap source as a contacts folder.

Now in 1.4.4, when I click on the folder I get an error that says:

We were unable to open this addressbook.  This either
means you have entered an incorrect URI, or the LDAP server
is unreachable.

I have since deleted the ldap source, and recreated it using the same
values I have set (which work) in GQ.  Also what's strange is that the
wizard for creating the ldap source is able to query the server and get
a list of supported bases.  But yet clicking on the newly created Other
Contacts folder results in the error above.

Any thoughts?
--
Sean M. Alderman
ITRACK Systems Analyst

You cannot have a science without measurement. -- R. W. Hamming