Re: [Evolution] Email Harvested? Exploited?

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 06:27, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
One obvious reason (yes I've got those as well) is that someone with an
unsecured Outlook is spreading one of the newer viruses. One of them
(the name escapes me right now) inserts a random email address (from
Outlook list) as sender in mails from an infected system. So it is
actually not you sending the mail, it just looks like it. And you get
blamed by AV-software around the world ...

I'm sure this is what's happening.  I got 24 of these bloody things this
morning =O(  And each email had up to 15 messages listed within them.
Someone's Doze box has been a *very* busy infected bunny.

Someone just saved a load of our emails to this list, and when [s]he
then got infected, the virus scanned these saved emails for addresses
for both the To: and From: fields of the email then sent.

That isn't the really sad thing.  The really sad thing is that Symantec,
who know full well that this is the most usual type of worm/virus these
days, still sells software that creates this spam out of them, wasting
yet more bandwidth, sending these reports to people who've so far had
nothing to do with the infection.  And then that sysadmins that should
know better, like those at Government sites for instance, are stupid
enough to leave them switched on...

Ta,
--
o o                                       mailto:Moredhel earthling net
/v\ark R. Bowyer  http://www.bowyer.screaming.net   Mark Bowyer Sun COM