Re: [Evolution] User impressions about Evolution

4. Threads aren't displayed very well: messages that should belong to
the same thread are dispersed according to their date in many different
threads.

huh? we thread according to in-reply-to and references headers. we don't
thread based on date. this makes no sense.

Agreed, but that's what happens. Instead of having this:

Subject A - 2003-10-15
 Subject A - 2003-10-16
  Subject A - 2003-10-17
Subject B - 2003-10-14
 Subject B - 2003-10-15
  Subject B - 2003-10-16
   Subject B - 2003-10-17
    Subject B - 2003-10-18

I get this:

Subject B - 2003-10-17
 Subject B - 2003-10-18
Subject A - 2003-10-15
 Subject A - 2003-10-16
  Subject A - 2003-10-17
Subject B - 2003-10-14
 Subject B - 2003-10-15
  Subject B - 2003-10-16

however I fiddle with the settings.

So that means that some of the messages don't have the correct threading
information in the headers.  Evo doesn't thread on Subject, as Jeffrey
said.

 This is quite annoying and, in some ways, unpredictable (i.e.
in certain folders threads behave better than in others), is this a
problem specific to the last Evo releases?

huh? no. likely a bug in the other clients you communicate with if
anything. they probably aren't properly setting the threading headers.

I'm not following you here: what do you mean with "the other clients"? I
just download emails from my POP server, Evolution is the client here.
Threading in the same folders works great using Messenger (don't know
about other clients).

No, "other clients" as in the ones that create the emails that don't put
the correct threading information in the headers.  If messenger is
threading according to Subject, then it is working around the broken
behaviour of other clients - perhaps there should be an option to turn
on threading by subject, but it shouldn't be the default.

P.
--
Pete Biggs :{)        pete physchem ox ac uk   pete biggs chem ox ac uk
Phone: 01865 275490 (Work)    01865 275410 (Fax)    pete biggs org uk