Re: [Evolution] Importing large numbers of folders

For the last 10 years, I've used MH, but now that I'm in an IMAP
environment, I can't do that anymore, so I'm trying evolution.  I have
about 300 MH format folders which I'd like to convert to local folders
in Evolution.  Although evolution can import MH folders, the documented
mechanism requires menuing and mousing, etc for each individual folder.
For 300 folders, this is an awful, error-prone chore.

Is there any scripting capacity in evolution that would allow me to
script this task?  I find no mention of such in the user docs.

Alternatively, could someone clue me in on what files/dirs I need to
create via a unix shell script (or perl, etc.)  To accomplish the same
thing?  My efforts so far along this line:

* If you use evo to create a local mail folder, FOLDER, and tell it to
store it's contents in MH format, a dir ~/evolution/local/FOLDER/mbox
containing files 1, 2, 3, ... will be created

* However if you just create such a dir from the unix shell prompt evo
won't "see" it as a folder, and you won't be able to access it.

Well, I even would have suggested scripting without you mentioning. ;-)

You are very close: Have a look at that FOLDER and it's contents. You
will need to create the 2 .xml files, as the describe how Evolution
handles this folder.

I would create a MH folder just as you, and use this as a template.

Notes:
- You will not need any mbox.* (note the dot!) files, as they are only
for indexing and will be recreated, if missing.
- You probably want to disable indexing (context menu, Properties) until
you are finished sorting the folders.
- Create a subfolder and see, how they are represented in the FS. Then
you don't need to create all those 300 MH folders on the same level...

...guenther