[Evolution] evo 1.4.5-100: cannot input japanese (kinput2) in compose windows

Hi!

I am trying to write japanese mails with evolution. I use kinput2
with the canna server. It works fine in evolution (Searchbar, To, Copy,
Subject-Line) - besides the compose window. When typing japanese
characters I cannot see what I type; only after I confirm by pressing
"Enter".
Any idea what is going wrong or why the compose window is different from
the rest?

System:
SuSE 9.0
Evolution version 1.4.5-100