[Evolution] Serious CORBA problem

Well, I'm getting CORBA issues when I try to start evolution. The following message is repeated many times in pop-up windows and the terminal:

Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

In addition to these messages, there are also complaints that:

 file $HOME/evolution/vfolders.xml contains nothing to upgrade
 xml file '$HOME/evolution/shortcuts.xml' already upgraded

I tried removing /tmp/orbit-$USER but that has no effect. I tried renaming my evolution directory as well as removing /tmp/orbit-$USER and rebooting - no effect. The thing that really perplexes me is that I didn't do anything to my system yesterday (which is when this problem started). I didn't install anything, I didn't upgrade anything, all I did was routine work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob