[Evolution] Empty contacts / messing with the database

Hi Evolution people out there,

first I want to thank you for your excellent work. Evolution is the best
email client I've ever seen. :-)

My issue: I like the idea of having one central, CVS archived Contact
system. Evolution is quite easy here, because it uses vCard as native
format, as do I. My problem is that if I try writing directly to the
database (through perls DB_File or BerkeleyDB modules) I create beside
my contacts a whole lot of empty and undeleteable entries. As long as I
can tell there is not additional information in the addressbook.db file
and all versions are fine. Even the \0 termination for all entries is in
there.
But Ev keeps believing that there is something wrong. I've been through
your mailing list archives and bugzilla but haven't found anything that
might help me with this topic.
Before I start reading the source I thought maybe someone on this list
has a clue what might be the reason for these ghost-entries.
Kind Regards
        Marcus

|Marcus Thiesen                           ICQ# 108989768|
|D-53757 Sankt Augustin                  marcus cpan org|
|Germany                                                |
|                  cpan.thiesenweb.de                   |
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man
affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in
darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to
repetitive electronic music."
                     Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.