Re: [Evolution] Bringing up Mozilla from links embedded in email (1.2.3)

Peter,

It does seem to be an oft-raised discussion.  It seems that every time a release of mozilla / evolution / gnome comes along this gets broken, at least on my SuSE system.  I got fed up with it and wrote my own script to do it.  It's by no means a good example of shell scripting, but it seems to work...........

First, in gnomecc, I set the default URL handler to be.........

/export/home/phands/bin/moz_launcher "%s"

Obviously, you would put the moz_launcher script wherever you feel is best.

The script moz_launcher is as follows...........

#!/bin/bash
#
#Try to launch a new window on an existing browser process.
#If it fails, return code will be non-zero, and we will need to start a new one.
/opt/mozilla/mozilla -remote "openurl($arg, new-window)"
#
#Now check the return code.
#If non zero, spawn a new mozilla process.

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    echo "No existing Mozilla - start a new one on site $arg"
    /opt/mozilla/mozilla $arg > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi

It's not pretty, but it works.  It doesn't check that an argument got passed by evolution, but that hasn't been a problem so far.  It relies on attempting to launch a new window on an existing mozilla process, passing it the the argument from the link in the email.  If that fails, the return code (captured in the shell variable $?) will be non zero, and we can start a new process, passing it the the argument from the link in the email.

I put the absolute path to Mozilla in the script.  I expect that if it's in your path, just a call to mozilla will suffice.  All returned info, both stdout and stderr goes to the bit-bucket.

HTH,

Paul