[Evolution] Solaris 9 expiriences

OK, it seems you need to send mail to this list with a return address
that is known to the list.

Now I can post what I wanted to.

These are my notes on what I had to do to get evolution 1.4 to
compile on Solaris 9. All of this has taken me about 4 days to
build (including gnome)
But the good news is that I am sending this mail with evolution,
so I have a working tool now :-)

Please comment if there is anything that I have overlooked.
Also, I hope that this may help other people setting evolution up.

Taco

----- Notes

1. I have installed the gnome 2.2 desktop from scratch, the 2.0
   desktop that is downloadable from sun.com was not good enough,
   it had a lot.
   of components that were outdated. Compiling gnome 2.2 on Solaris
   is a different story, I have a simular note file on that.
2. I have created a /opt/gnome directory in which I have installed
   gnome and all libraries and includes gnome (and also evolution)
   depends upon.
3. Evolution is installed in /opt/evolution to keep it separate
   from gnome.
4. For build and install I have created seperate users (gnome &
   evolution) they own /opt/gnome and /opt/evolution.
5. I have created a small shellscript that calls configure with
   common arguments like --prefix=/opt/evolution. It is called
   confit and the notes below reference it.
   This is what it currently looks like:

#### Cut here
#!/bin/ksh

gnome=/opt/gnome
evolution=/opt/evolution
if [ -d $1 ]
then
        cd $1
        export CXX=g++
        export CPPFLAGS="-I$gnome/include -I$evolution/include
-I/usr/include"
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$gnome/lib:$evolution/lib
        export LDFLAGS="-lintl -L$gnome/lib -L$evolution/lib
-L/usr/openwin/lib"
        export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$evolution/lib/pkgconfig
        PATH=$gnome/bin:$HOME/bin:$gnome/bin:$PATH
        ksh  ./configure --prefix=/opt/evolution \
                --with-db3-libs=$evolution/lib \
                --disable-nss   \
                --disable-glibtest #> confit.log 2>&1
fi
### Cut here

nspr
====
- source at:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/nspr/releases/v4.3/src/nspr-4.3.tar.gz
- this setup really wants to use CC as the c++ compiler
  solution, add CXX=g++ to confit
- cannot find libintl, solotion, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
  /opt/gnome/lib
- make install copies files in nsprpub/dist
  need to manually copy every dir to its target

nss
===
- source at:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/security/nss/releases/NSS_3_7_7_RTM/src/nss-3.7.7.tar.gz
- to build (this is a bitch to build)
  cd nss*/mozilla/security/corecon/nsinstall
  export NS_USE_GCC=true
  make; make install
  cd ../../nss
  make
whoahh been hacking at this for a couple hours on and off, will compile
evolution without this sh...

db-3.1.17
=========
- unpack
 cd db-3.1.17/build_unix
 ../dist/configure --prefix=/opt/evolution
 make
 make install

gal-2.0
=======
- complains about missing popt.h
  update, this is because I removed the Sun supplied gnome packages,
  need to go back to my gnome installation to figure out what else I
  miss.
- installed popt, new error:
        main undefined in libesd
- solution (sort of) change libtool tool ( -z nodefs )
  this is a clutch, there is probably something else going wrong when
  linking on Solaris

gtkhtml-3.05
============
- requires gal-2.0
- cannot find gal-2.0
  solution, add
        export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$evolution/lib/pkgconfig
  to confit

soup
====
- this shocking, it builds without me having to modify
  anything :-)

evolution-1.4.0
===============
- path to libdb.a is hardcoded (/usr/lib/libdb.a)
  resolved by adding:
        --with-db3-libs=$evolution/lib
  to confit
- requires mozilla??? hmm at least it requires nspr, lets get this
  and build it
- nspr build, now it wants nss
- see above story, no nss in
- now the challenge to configure without nss, one would think
--without-nss
  however in their wisdom the developers have decided to confuse
  me once again.
  the without is a undocumented --disable-nss
- hah, now we miss soup, ok download and compile
- make completes!!!
- make install misses:
        e-util/.libs/libeconduit.a (fix: touch the file)
execute:
========
1. evolution wants to execute evolution-1.3 which is not there,
        modified script 1.3 -> 1.4 [SOLVED]
2. imap needs server space overide, if not it scans whole home dir
   [SOLVED]
3. shortcuts are not shown inline, resolved, turn shortcuts on and
   drag window right [SOLVED]
4. messages are not shown inline, resolved, turn preview on and drag
   window down [SOLVED]
5. complaining about $HOME/evolution/filters.xml, strange but does not
   seem to do any harm
6. on new mail arrival, messages list is not re-generated, need to
   to go to other shortcut and back (f.i. Summary ... Inbox )
   This may have something to do with this error message:
   (evolution-1.4:21163): camel-local-provider-WARNING **:
   The next message didn't start where I expected, building summary
   from  start
   Hmm, just switched to imap read, that seems to resolve this
   problem
7. read mail is not marked read, this is a strange thing,
   sometimes it does, sometimes it just marks it read...
8. lots of complaints about missing fonts:
        - Times New Roman 10
        - Georgia 10
        - Tahoma Bold 8.75
        - arial 9
        - Comic Sans MS 12
   This is not a real problem, it just falls back on other fonts
9. Switched to imap mail, for reading mail when away I want to be
   able to use imap folders, that works but every query for new
   mail takes forever, just ran truss on the imapd daemon, it
   checks for new messages in ALL imap folders... The option in
   the panel to check for messages in all folders is turned off.
   Looks like a bug to me.

--
Taco de Vries <taco keytop xs4all nl>