[Evolution] window and pane focus

Once again, thanks in advance for the advice.

Situation 1:
(In the inbox, with the folder list and preview pane open)
window/pane focus is on the inbox, on a particular message.
I use the arrow keys to move up/down the list. I find the email I want to read, and I hit ENTER.
I read the message then hit Ctrl-W to close it
I am now looking back at the Inbox, but with no message focus.
**I have noted that this behavior is inconsistant. Sometimes I return to the inbox and the message *does* still have focus.

Situation 2:
(In the inbox, with the folder list and preview pane open)
window/pane focus is on the inbox, on a particular message.
I use the shift-arrow keys to highlight one or more messages
I hit DEL to delete it
I hit Ctrl-E to empty trash
Focus is now... nowhere that I can find. I can use tab/arrows to eventually get back to the inbox list.

Desired result
In both cases I would prefer to return to the inbox with the message (or the next message, in the case of deleting) having focus. That way I can continue to use the arrow keys to move up/down the list of emails and read/delete as needed.

Am I missing something?

Environment
Mandrake 9.1
Evolution 1.2.4