[Evolution] Root messages from local spool

In addition to my pop mail, I configured two local spools to view local
system messages.  One for my local user messages, a spool type pointed
at /var/spool/mail/me, and the other for the system messages delivered
to /var/spool/mail/root.  The user spool account works fine, but the one
set up to read the root's system messages refuses to afford me access
permission.  I have done a chmod 666 on /var/spool/mail/root to give
myself permission, but that didn't do it.  That permitted me to look at
the headers in the upper pane, but whenever I try to retrieve a message,
I get the message: "Error retrieving message xxx.  Could not lock
/var/spool/mail/root."  (where xxx is the message number)   Any
suggestions?

Arthur S. Alexion <arthur alexion com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC
AIM <aalexion>
SMS <2679725536 messaging sprintpcs com>