Re: [Evolution] Generating new email

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 13:53, Tony Mobily wrote:
Hello,

I have two questions, a simple one and a hard one :-)

Te simple one is: is it possible to create attachments through dragging
a file onto Evolution? If it's not possible, then it would be nice to
have a script in Nautilous that would let you do this (right click,
scripts -> send as attachment).

        Yes.  It's simply that, from version 1.2 on, you have to drag the
attachment to the HEADERS of the message you are composing.  Dragging it
to the body of the message will just write out a useless URL to the
object.  (file:///home/me/somefile.txt)  I believe there's a bug about
it somewhere in bugzilla.

Now, here is the hard one!

I as wondering if there was any way in Evolution to generate new email
automatically through a script.
Here is the problem. Imagine that you have a file called
"future_of_java-barontini", where "future_of_java" is the title and
"barontini" is the contributor.

NOW: it would be *fantastic* for me to write a simple Nautilous script
that:

1) Creates a new email in Evolution (that may be already running)

2) Addresses the email to barontini infomedia it (the "barontini" bit
comes from the file name, and the "infomedia.it" bit is aways the same)

3) Sets the subject to "future_of_java"

I suppose this would require e "talking" to Evolution as a COM/BONOBO
component, but I have no idea how to do it.

Can anyone give me some good hints on how to do this?

        Yes.  You need to use mailto: urls.  Try something like this:

evolution "mailto:someone somewhere net?subject=testing&cc=someoneelse"

If you have XD2, check out how OpenOffice.org is configured to do this.