Re: [Evolution] Unable to retrieve mail after upgrade to XD2

It seems to be the same bug. My ISP is using InterMail. I've added my extra GDB information to bugzilla.

For anyone following the issue, see bug 40788 on bugzilla.ximian.com.

BTW, I know that since the fix will require a change in behaviour, it'll take a while before the fix will pass QA and make it into the general distribution. So far, I've been using Kmail to download my mail and then evolution's "import" to read the mail into evolution. I don't mind helping out by gathering more information on the bug. However, I don't want to keep doing this for more than a few weeks. How easy is it to downgrade from evolution 1.4 to evolution 1.2 (either from Ximian or from RedHat 9.0)? What packages would I need to remove? Evolution 1.2 worked perfectly for me.

From: Not Zed <notzed ximian com>
To: chammond cox net
CC: Robert Devi <g2devi hotmail com>, evolution lists ximian com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Unable to retrieve mail after upgrade to XD2
Date: 11 Jun 2003 17:01:39 +0930

We've seen this before, it is the pop server at fault, the server will
return an truncated response to a CAPA query after login.  Its
apparently been tested with a manual telnet, so its not our io layer at
fault.  The pop protocol is pretty simple, so if evolution detects
corruption it drops the connection.  Maybe it should just dump out the
offending line/treat it as an error response.

Still ... nobody has ever reported this problem hanging before, or
crashing, it just wont get their mail.

Could you run it in gdb and get a backtrace of when it hangs as well as
when it crashes.  And submit bugs on bugzilla.ximian.com under
evolution/mail.

There is a patch that didn't make 1.4 that lets the user override this
behaviour, but since your symptoms are also different it could be
another issue.  There is no other workaround at present.