[Evolution] Mail lock file for local delivery?

I've been using 1.3.92 and have had no problems until last week, when it
stopped retrieving mail.  I'm using "Local delivery" with mail delivered
to the system file /var/mail/$USER.  I don't know what triggered it, but
evo stopped  pulling mail from /var/mail/$USER.  I tried switching account
types to "Standard UNIX mbox", and evo then sees what's in /var/mail/$USER,
but doesn't move it.

Is there some sort of mail lock file that could be present, keeping evo
from moving mail from the system mbox file?  I tried deleting the
contents of .gconf, .gconfd, and moving ~/evolution out of the way,
then restarting gnome and evo - no success.

This is evo 1.3.92 compiled from source on a sparc Solaris 8 box with
gnome 2.3.  Thanks for any help.

Peter