Re: [Evolution] Advice needed for Exchange-like calendaring

On 10 Jun 2003, Stuart Guthrie wrote:
On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 02:42, Bryce Harrington wrote:
On 9 Jun 2003, Stuart Guthrie wrote:
A question or two for the list. I´m designing a Calendar Access Protocol
server under the JiCal banner. Does anyone know how hard it will be to
plug in a ´CAP´ (http://www.calsch.org) Client to Evo? I´ve already had
talks with a German OS project who think the Outlook plugin is not so
bad. Wouldn´t it be nice to have a true open source calendar server and
a migration path from Outlook to Evolution as and when departments are
ready? I think Lotus Notes are moving to get CAP client/server working
for their offering (as main chatter on the calsch list is from there).

We (OSDL) would definitely be interested in seeing this development take
place; we've been pretty bummed that a CAP server doesn't already
exist.  What do you have in mind for the design?

I´ve already been in converse with some other java people and the Avalon
framework is looking good for a basis. I´m currently a bit stumped by
the parsing requirements for the Calendar Structured Query Language but
there are several projects in Java that would help in that area.

I was hoping to sit the server on top of JBoss as that is my experience
and I like its ability to fail-over/cluster.

Kees Cook is working on writing up a list of the features that would be
nice to have from such a system, which he'll post here.

If you get far enough into it, our Lab Director suggested that you might
want to look into funding for it through LinuxFund (.org), since a CAP
server is definitely the type of project worth funding.

And of course, if down the road you need access to machines for doing
testing, this is definitely the type of project OSDL provides resources
and assistance for.  http://www.osdl.org/projects/project.html

Also, do you have a preferred list for discussion of jical development?

Thanks,
Bryce