Re: [Evolution] script for starting evolution

at home I have another smtp address for my mail accounts than on the
job.

I assume you need that for your Laptop.

is there a way to set/reset these settings by means of a shell script?
how would this script look like?

Yep, IMHO that is possible. There are some different surroundings to
think about, though:

Evo 1.2.x: You have to change settings in ~/evolution/config.xmldb. The
value is hexadecimal coded ASCII. You can do that easily with standard
shell commands, like sed.

Evo 1.3.x and above: As GConf is used, the settings have to be changed
in GConf (just learned that). There is a CLI to GConf, so this should
not be a huge problem.

However, I would prefer another solution: /etc/hosts

If the IPs of the SMTP servers do not change, that seems to be the best
solution. I have a custom init script on my Laptop, that automatically
determines, in which of currently 3 different network I am, based on the
unique MAC address of NICs.

That script mount NFS and actually does a /etc/host rewrite in one case
for me.

With that solution, you will always refer to the SMTP server 'smtp',
regardless where you are and the changes are made automagically without
any interaction by you at all.

If that is possible for you, I can provide you with this script,
customized for you. (Just reply early, as I am away for some days from
Thursday.

...guenther