Re: [Evolution] html mail output

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 00:44, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
I had some problems getting a MUA reading html formated mail from Evo
correctly.
So I took the HTML mail output and stuck the HTML part in the Validator
on W3C which grumbled:

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

     1. Line 7, column 6:  end tag for "HEAD" which is not finished
        (explain...).
          </HEAD>
                ^
     2. Line 11, column 15:  there is no attribute "BACKGROUND"
        (explain...).
          <TD BACKGROUND="cid:1059281624.1144.11.camel@h127n2fls31o826.telia.com">
                         ^
     3. Line 12, column 36:  there is no attribute "BACKGROUND"
        (explain...).
          <TABLE BGCOLOR="#f2f2f2" BACKGROUND="cid:1059281624.1144.11.camel@h127n2fls31o82
                                      ^

I also had to tweak the Validator to accept the DTD which says 4.0 when it should be
4.01 (else you get 60+ errors).

(Validator output)
 1: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
   2: <!-- <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 TRANSITIONAL//EN"> -->

Line 7: is the complaining about the lack of <title></title> tags. Which is
mandatory according to HTML 4.01.

IT seems thought that this is not a problem with Evo but with Gnome itself?

It is an issue with gtkhtml, but it is not likely to change.  Honestly I
don't care much about the gtkhtml output passing a w3c validator when it
complains about something as simple and commonplace as table cell
backgrounds.  The difference between what the w3c calls html and what
something that wants to display html has to accept is so large it is
meaningless.  We try to be valid in our output but some extra attributes
(that every browser knows how to render) or a missing title element is
not really earth shattering.

Having said that, I'd appreciated it if you filed a bug for the composer
about the title element since gtkhtml supports it and the composer is
just failing to set it (it should probably be set to the subject of the
composed mail.  And includng a note about 4.0->4.01 is probably
appropriate too.

I'd be really interested to hear what mailer is having trouble dealing
with the html that gtkhtml produces.  The output is fairly simple and
something that fails on it is going to fail on the vast majority of html
mail that I have seen.

--Larry