[Evolution] Calendar file messed up

Somehow my calendar has hundreds of appointments on Dec. 31, 2027,
probably from some synchronization which went bad. I believe this has
caused all kinds of grief (for example, the "find" function on my Visor
Prism crashes, with an error in TextMgr.c; also, the calendar component
of Evo has crashed.)

There are way too many entries to remove by hand, on my Visor, so I
would like to edit some file to remove them. I found the offending
entries in ~/evolution/local/Calendar/calendar.ics, and removed them
(being careful to start at BEGIN:VEVENT, and end at END:VEVENT). But
these events seem to be immortal: when I restarted Evo, the old
calendar.ics file had been recreated, with the offending events still
there.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate them?
--
Steven P. Auerbach <steven p auerbach saic com>
SAIC